Saturday, September 4, 2010

Expectations killed the cat.


If you could be in any city in the world right now where would it be? Most people (if they have been) would answer Barcelona. So I simultaneously put it on my high expectations list and added it to my itinerary.

From the way most travelers talk about Barcelona I somehow imagined it to be a cross between Coney Island, a pristine beach and maybe Rome. (LOL) I pictured La Rumbla (The street with all the attraction) to be horizontal along a boardwalk paved with a pale yellow tile (possibly terracotta) over looking the beach. Loaded with palm trees, sun, performers, sand, tourists, laughter, restaurants and of course sangria.

My imagination got carried away and my expectations were just a little off key. Then came disappointment. My first step was to admit what I had done wrong. The second step was to go back to the hotel for a good night sleep and start again, imagination free with no expectations.

Looking closely Barcelona does have it all. Shopping, sports, bars, restaurants beaches, street entertainers, pickpockets, markets and some amazing architecture. You can even pick up a pet turtle on La rumbla if you felt like it.

However eating on La Rumbla is expensive. Although a jug/pint/glass of sangria shouldn’t be given a second thought, drink it!

(Those wanting to make it yourself I’ll post a recipe shortly)

Sightseeing.

The hop on hop off bus tour has 3 routes. Without looking at a map we jumped on the first available bus. Shortly after our departure we realized we were on route to see a heck of a lot of churches.

Tee Hee.

At this point I was ‘churched out’. I had seen so many churches in the last two months that I stopped going in. So I sat up the top of the double-decked bus surrendering myself to laziness and letting it defeat any desire I may have had to get off my ass. The view was already marvelous enough from where I was sitting. (thank you very much!)


During a quick chat over skype to the lovely Rach, (Barcelona her favourite place) she questioned me.

R: Have you been to the la Sagrada Familia yet? It’s so beautiful and amazing.

L: Ahh maybe I saw a lot of churches from the bus.

R: You would remember it if you saw it. I’ll send you a picture. You have to go.

Within seconds I received a picture

L: Oh yeah I’ve got photos of that. Looks like I have already seen it.

R: It was amazing inside.

Obviously the conversation wasn’t that bland. Rach was really excited at the mention of Barcelona and it’s famous church. Getting her friend in on the conversation, both told me how stunning it is, inside and out!

Now I feel silly for dismissing the La Sagrada Familia as just another church and I regret my actions, just a little bit.

Before bed time I did a Google search of the La Sagrada Familia and it’s creator. Looking through some images and then looking through my own pictures. I realized I was already familiar with the architect Antoni Gaudi. I had photographed and admired his work all over the city.


Casa Mila

Casa Batlo

I couldn’t get my camera out fast enough to photograph Casa Batlo and Casa Mila. I had never seen buildings so unique in design.

La Sagrada Familia and Antoni Gaudi.

18 towers, 12 for the apostles, four for the four evangelists and one each for Mary and Jesus, the Sagrada Familia has been under construction since 1882. Gaudi devoted the rest of his life to his masterpiece.

I don't think my picture gave it justice so I added one from Google.

For someone so talented, unique, loved and admired for his work. He is part of what makes Barcelona so attractive. I found the end to his life story really sad.

In 1962 Gaudi was run over by a tram. Having withdrawn himself from the media and the public eye for so long no one recognized him. He was disregarded because of his frail and ragged appearance. Therefore no one would take him to the hospital. Eventually he was taken to a pauper’s hospital where he died a few days later.



No comments:

Post a Comment