Friday, September 24, 2010

I wish diamonds were my best friend. (and coral)

Dear G-or-gina and Poophie,
My birthday is coming up. Feel free to buy me gold, coral, or tourqoise.
Ok bye.


(This picture is borrowed from we heart it.)

“Lachie stop”

“Lachhieee”

“LACHIE!!!!!”

*Lachie waddling off into the distance*

Lachie is deaf (although he won't admit it) and I am not going to cause a scene to get his attention.

He’ll figure it out sooner or later, I think to myself.

I have bigger fish to fry.

(borrowed from we heart it)

I was standing on the oldest bridge in Florence, paved in gold – literally.

Not being able to make purchases is torture. (I have window shopped my way around Europe) I had to choose between eating and shopping. Of course being the guts that I am, food wins - most of the time.

From London to Rome my thought process has been.

“It’s OK I’ll shop in Florence.”

“I can buy Leather boots.”

“If I don't my feet will get cold.”

“It will be an investment.”

Next I tested it out loud. Lachie didn’t object and my friends agreed.

“Yes, investment!” they said.

So it was decided leather boots in Florence.

YAY!

Nobody warned be about the bridge of gold.

The Ponte Vecchio is the oldest bridge in Florence. Destroyed in 1333 by a flood to be rebuilt 12 years later. It’s five arches became three and it’s load was widened. Originally home to shops that sold meat and fish. However they stunk and were soon replaced by goldsmiths – more elegant, shinier and cleaner.

During World War 11, the Ponte Vecchio was the only bridge not destroyed by the Germans, apparently by order of Hitler. (I’m not sure why) Though all the buildings on either side were destroyed making the bridge useless.

In recent bridge news the romantic yet corny act of lovers padlocking a lock to the bridge and throwing away the key as a symbol of their eternal love has been banned. It is destroying the bridge. Aren’t you crazy birds that love supposed to be about peace and not destroying an old bridge? SHAME. ON. YOU!

Finding this bridge was like arriving at a campsite to find out they stuffed up (in a good way) and you are now sleeping in a bungalow that has a FRIDGE and toilet paper. Unexpected but welcomed with arms wide open.

Everyone was there. Gold, Silver, Silver plated in Gold, either by themselves or togged in diamonds. Smooth, beautifully coloured and carved coral – shaped like a rose that comes in the form of ring, earrings and necklace.

I'll see you all in my dreams.

But my favourite was this.

Shortly after I bent an ear to hear this!

Man: Would you like me to buy that for you?

Lady: No it’s OK

Man: Are you sure? I want to buy you something.

Lady: No really it’s OK

Man: You never let me spoil you. (Sooking)

Obviously she is crazy. Or maybe she had already secretly bought herself something.

Anyone travelling to Florence make sure you factor in a little “indulge yourself” beans for sparkly, shiny, pretty things that you don’t need but want so badly.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment