Sunday, September 12, 2010

I survived the sink of terror.

Dear Georgina,

As I climbed the giant rocks that had been made to resemble steps, gasping for air, my cheeks scarlet and burning. All I could think or actually sing was “this is the hardest thing I’ll ever have to dooo…” over and over and over again.

A fence appeared and I clung to it for support. Anything to make the pain in my legs go away.

Then things went from bad


to worse.



NB: Murphy’s Law, If you buy the big bottle of water you wont get thirsty but if you go for the smaller you will have needed the bigger one….

"how much water have you got left?" I asked L

"None."

"What? What do you mean?" I didn't mean to sound so desperate but I just drank my last gulp.

"How much have you got left? L asked me

"None, we aren't going to make" I was so thirsty.


See the desperation.

If you hadn’t already guessed I was hiking through the Cinque Terre national park and it was seriously ‘the hardest thing I’ll ever have to dooooo.’

My legs felt like jelly and I thought I was going to fall off the cliff.

The Cinque Terre is named after its five small villages. Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza and Monterosso. The five villages are linked by a hiking trail, the blue trail that takes about 5 hours to walk.

The first two trails: from Riomaggiore to Manarola and then from Manarola to Corniglia are easy, a leisurly stroll (no chance of breaking a sweat moustache) taken to enjoy the picturesque coastline.

However, the trail from Corniglia to Vernazza was dam hard, probably on account of me being unfit and eating pizza regularly.

The trail from Vernazza to Monterosso – N/A


Tips!

Don’t wear grey.

Do wear sweat bands.

Get the bigger bottle of water.



The beginning on the first trail - AKA lovers lane.



Picturesque ( i stole this word from lonely planet) coastline


No comments:

Post a Comment