Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Rome Shmome - not my favourite place (sorry)

Dear G-or-gina and Poophie,

I know Rome is your favourite city. I now have mixed feelings.

Flashback! - Rome 2007

Sitting at the Trevi Fountain with Laura. We have knocked back the ‘magic water’, are now pure.

Lobbed coin with right hand over left shoulder in fountain to guarantee return to Rome.

Day.2

Sick as a dog, all I want to do is curl up and sleep. Can’t, have to line up for the Vatican City. Did a quick tour of the museum. Couldn’t hear anything. Sure it was terrific.

Sistine Chapel – Crammy, demanded silence and could not take picture, very nice though. Left Chapel, both realised we didn’t see 'creation of Adam' painting.

Lucky I threw coin in the fountain.

Present day.

Three years later (the fountain doesn't lie) I am back, equipped with a clean bill of health and a tour guide, ready to glare at Michelangelo's work in the Sistine Chapel.

The Museum and Sistine Chapel - just as spectacular the second time around, if not better. Technology has improved since my last visit and all the guides are moving on up - they have microphones now.

Fascinating - The eyes and the corner of the stone will follow you as you walk past.

At first the roof is nice, then you get told that the surface is actually flat and painted to look like it has depth and it becomes brilliant.

Glass eyeballs on statue - freaky.

I don’t have too much else to say about Rome. Just that after cramming in as many sights and museums possible for one day, we Aussies just wanted a pub, a drink and a seat. (I actually had blisters on the soles of my feet (like the song)) A simple request, yes? You would think so. Wretchedly, it is too much to want a place to rest your feet to indulge in a cut-price beverage.

However if you are looking for an overpriced cafĂ© and don’t mind paying 10 Euro for a drink, then you are in the right place. Very disappointing. Bad Rome!

I know, I know it’s all my fault. I was probably in the wrong spot or something.

Probably they said.





No comments:

Post a Comment